Sunday, May 13, 2007

April 28th, 2007 - Porcupine Rim

No photos, but I went to Moab solo this weekend because Amber had a work thing she had to attend on Saturday.

Being solo, it seemed a perfect time to pay for a shuttle and do Porcupine Rim. I opted to catch the shuttle up to the top of the Kokepelli Trail so I got another 4 miles above the normal porcupine downhill. You are dropped where the Kokepelli trail joins the La Sals road and you ride it down to the LPS (lower porcupine singletrack).

The kokepelli section is fun and fast double track with not a lot of technical stuff, but just rough and rocky bombing enjoyment. Once you join LPS the riding gets a lot more technical with some steep drops and quite a bit of tight manouvering. There is one very steep, technical slot that deposits you with a tight turn to avoid a tree - I walked that bit!

LPS drops you out at the top of the normal entry to Porcupine so you miss all the hard climbing, you still have a bit climbing along the ridge, but it is not physical and a nice change before you turn downhill for the 11 mile run back to the River road.

I think even if I was't solo the chances of getting photos would be remote given how fun a descent it is. I was not riding super great at the start of the ride, but by the end has started to feel much better on my bike!

Porcupine from the very top is a must do ride, just walk the sketch technical descents as you need to and blast the rest at as a high a speed as you can for a great ride!

No comments: