Thursday, November 1, 2007

Moab - Amasa Back 10/20

We headed back to Moab this week.

But I was out of town in Chicago for work for the last part of the week leading into the weekend and didn't land back in Denver until Friday night. We were still super motivated to head to Moab again so we got up early Saturday morning and drove to Moab. The original plan was just to drive to Fruita and ride there but as we often do once we were that close we just kept driving and ended up in Moab instead.

Saturday afternoon we headed over to Amasa back as it looked like there was weather coming in and Amasa is very forgiving in that you can just turn around whenever you want. We also had a pretty slow start as I had sent my Mojo for a full strip down to the frame overall and at the same time pulled the Coil shock of the frame to send it to Push for their factory system upgrade.

I also needed to put back on my maveric speedball seatpost after taking it of the bike for the prior weekend so that I could drop the seat as low as possible for the training camp.

I had a few kinks to work out as the RP23 I put back on hadn't been ridden in over 9months and boy did it feel different. The entry to amasa just felt terrible - it turns out it was because I hadn't checked the rebound on the shock and it was in super slow rebound for some reason and the shock packed up near instantly in that rocky starting area. Once I tuned it properly it felt like I remembered and all was good.


The ride up amasa felt the best I can ever remember I cleaned everything except the rocky section out of the creek and I felt strong and energetic - Amber didn't as she had a cold.


As usual the views on Amasa were very nice, particularly with the storm front coming in.


Amber working on a steeper section near the two step up play sections.


Near the top of the climb. You can see the clouds moving in. It was really starting to coming in a noticeable temperature drop encouraged us to turn around at the top of the climb.


But we headed up a small side jeep road to get the views on top of the ridge.


Getting photos on the way down amasa is never easy as you don't want to stop. This is Amber as we are heading back down from the top of the climb.


Storm clouds add nice colors to the desert.




Just as we got back to the car the temperature really dropped and the winds started. It was a windy night but both Amber and I slept well since we were both so tired. (her from being sick and me from traveling the week prior).

2 comments:

kevin said...

Yep, that's what I've been waitin' for! Great pics.

Skybob said...

Hi there, cool pics!
I have moutain biked amasa back many times,(and jeeped many more) drop by for a visit if you would like.
MyBlazeOfGlory.blogspot.com