Wednesday, May 7, 2008

May 3rd - Moab Kokopelli Down (into Porcupine)

Another Moab weekend and this was a particularly fun weekend which has come to mean not much in the way of photos due to a lack of desire to stop riding and take a picture.

We were a little bit undecided on what to do on Saturday as Sunday was planned to be a shuttle day on Porcupine. I read something on MTBR that piqued my interest a little and we decided that it might be fun to try it for a morning ride.

We opted to drive up to the LPS drop off point for Porcupine and then ride up UPS. I had heard UPS was good but we had never ridden it due to the questionable access to it. I figured that riding up it would be a great way to see the trail and see where it joined Kokopelli higher up, it would also give us a good argument of ignorance if the Rangers happened to be out on the trail (which they weren't).

Wow, this is an amazingly fun section of single track riding.


A rare picture of from the ride. You travel up along the rim much of the way with amazing views. There were a few sections of pushing the bike on the way up, but that just made the ride back even more fun.


I was surprised at how much slick rock was on the ride, this is one scenic section that was easy to take a break on and get another rare photo.


I really enjoyed the technical riding (in both directions) you had to pick your lines and keep momentum.

After UPS we continued up Kokopelli to the La Sals Rd. This is the condition of Hazard County at the moment, obviously not ready yet.

On the way up we crossed paths (in a friendly/fun way) with lot's of other riders who were enjoying the downhill frolic from the shuttle drop on La Sals Rd.

Once we reached the top we got to turn around and enjoy it as well. OMG what amazingly enjoyable riding. You have blast as fast as you can open riding on the Kokopelli section and then swooping single track mixed with steep rock section on UPS. We had just a great time!

We also opted for the "spoil Sean more" choice and Amber and our dog finished at the car while I raced down LPS into Porcupine and Amber picked me up at the bottom of Porcupine. No photos but many "I love my Bike, I love this Ride!" moments. I was pretty tired by the time I got to the bottom as the heat had arrived and after 22miles of technical riding fatigue was a big factor. Beer and Food summoned us and we relaxed the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: