Thursday, July 3, 2008

July 2nd - Mount Washington Bike Park

We decided to bust out the big bikes today and head up to Mount Washington. We needed to get the rear wheel on Amber's Mojo rebuilt as she broke a spoke on the first day riding in the area and none of the shops were open to get it repaired. The wheel was due for a rebuild as last time we had her bike over-hauled and serviced at out local bike shop The Fix they told has that the wheel was in trouble as when Phil (our mechanic) trued the wheel we would constantly pop a spoke out as he tightened the other side. The wheel held up just fine on the previous two days of riding but this was a good opportunity to get it fixed once and for all.

So we dropped Amber's bike in a great little store in Cumberland called The Riding Fool and they were able to get a new rim laced to her existing hub for us to pick up later in the day.

We enjoyed a day on the big bikes at Mount Washington. The riding in some ways was kinda strange as they had "groomed" trails that were fast and immaculate with perfect berms and table-tops everywhere. Unfortunately since neither Amber nor I can jump worth a piece of shit it made those trails a little less as good for us as they would have been for others. We did stumble onto an old DH trail that is the classic race track called Monster Mile. We were only able to pick it up part-way down it as the upper part of the mountain wasn't open yet. It was rocky and steep and reminded me a lot of some of the trail sections we have in Colorado.

I managed to take a good tumble after deciding that the Blue trails would be great for a fast run on my Mojo as well and I totally lost it on a steep, loose and rocky entrance into a blue run and went fully over the bars. I had taken my upper body armor off, the fall was a gentle enough tumble and I didn't feel like I had hurt anything but later that night I started to feel some bruising in my right shoulder. Nothing to be concerned about but it was a good lesson that my Mojo can't ride the steep rocky stuff as fast as my DH bike can!

We had a great time getting in a bunch of runs and having an awesome lunch at the grill. I absolutely love the food in Canada, it reminds me a lot of home in Australia. You can get good fish and chips where the fish is done in nice Batter and the chips are proper chips and not the fries that you get in the USofA.

We were tired and exhausted after the previous 4 days of riding on-top of a long drive so we ended up standing up Gerry on his Thursday morning offer to go riding and instead will catch up with him (or Bob) for a Thursday evening ride.

No comments: