Friday, August 15, 2008

August 9th - MSC Race, Snomass G3 - Race Day

Saturday we had two races, the first was the fast DH track and then in the afternoon we would do the Super-D. We woke up early and got ourselves some coffee and a good breakfast. We had found that at Sol Vista if we were ready a good hour before riding started we both did much better in our race run.

We both took a single practice run on the DH course and then relaxed before the race. Because of the moisture on the mountain the course organizers broken with tradition and sent the races down in reverse normal order. Generally pro racers start last and the beginners go first so by the time I raced (in Sport 40+) the course was in good condition and for Amber it was nearly perfect.

I was very happy with my Race run and felt like I went pretty much as fast as I could for my current skill-set and I placed 3rd and was about 7 seconds back from 2nd place. Amber was also very happy with her run and just placed 1st! She was about 2 seconds ahead of the 2nd placed girl.



We then had to switch modes and get ready for the Super-D race. We both did one practice run to try and get some details of the course in our minds. After the practice run I decided to switch of my big bike and ride it on my Mojo. The decision was a tough one as I hadn't ridden the course a single time on the Mojo but there was quite a few sections where pedalling would be key. The main tough choice was that there were also some bumpy sections that the big bike would probably be faster on and the fat tires would help in many of the corners. Also it was threatening to rain and then the big bike would probably be much more stable if it got muddy.

But I went with the Ibis and was happy that I did. I got a good start in the short run and settled into 3rd place by the time we were on the Single track I kept the other two guys in sight for about the first half of the course but was dropped once we hit the more technical sections. The Super-D course also finished in the mountain cross course and that was somewhat of a concern for both Amber and I as neither of us were comfortable with the jumps and so in practice were slowing down for them and rolling/pumping everything instead of jumping the doubles and tables.

When I got to the mountain cross section of the course I was feeling good and on the last Table I tried to jump it but fully dead-sailored the jump and nose dived into a full crash that sent me and my bike flying. I was able to get up and get going pretty quickly having only just scraped up my arms and back a little and I still held onto 3rd place for the race. I was about 20seconds back from the top two guys.

Amber got a slower start in her race and had to pass a few people as the opportunity presented itself. She ended up settling in behind another girl and they pulled away from the field. Amber was able to pass Kristin in the bottom third of the course and took 1st place for that race as well!

We were both very happy with our races and things looked good for the Sunday final race with Amber holding a comfortable lead overall in her category and I was solidly in 3rd place in mine.


Amber's Super-D Podium


Sean's Super-D Podium

No comments: