Saturday, September 27, 2008

August 23rd, 24th - Sol Vista

We opted to head to Sol Vista again this weekend as there was the final race of the season coming on the next weekend and riding had just been a lot of fun the previous weekend. We rode full days on both days and much good times was had!

We ended up riding quite a bit with Santiago Garcia who is a great guy to ride with. He is that perfect riding partner - funny, motivated but relaxed. We did a bunch of runs and on Sunday started to do some timed runs with Santiago. Timing your runs in practice changes the whole ride! It stays fun, but now there is an extra element in every run down. I was so impressed with the approach that I ordered a DMC moto-timer that you can leave on the bars of your bike and will use it as a matter of course now.

On Sunday afternoon a rumor starting around the mountain that for the race we would be doing Silky Johnson chainless as one of the stages. We started doing chainless runs timed to get a feel for where the tough spots for flow would be. Wow, riding down hill trails chainless is a totally new experience for me. Since I couldn't pedal I was really forced to concentrate on the flow of the trail and I was riding so much better than when I was pedalling! It opened my eyes to a big area of opportunity in my riding and I think that for every race track I need to do some chainless (no pedalling) runs very early in the practise sessions to get a feel for the flow trail.

All in all a great weekend! (no photos sadly).

No comments: